By Mafugi Ceesay

The High Courts Justice Francis has adjourned Momodou Sabally’s case for ruling on April 1, 2022. The court will decide whether or not to allow the UDP candidate to contest for the Busumbala Constituency in the upcoming parliamentary elections.

Last month, the Independent Electoral Commission rejected Sabally’s application to run in the upcoming parliamentary polls on grounds that recommendations of the Janneh Commission barred the former Secretary-General from holding public office as per section 90 subsection 1 (e) of the 1997 constitution.

Filing his submission before Justice Francis, the electoral bodies defence counsel, Kebba Sanyang told the crowded court, the application being considered lacks merit and should be dismissed.

On his part, the state Counsel, Muhammeh S. Sowe adopted and associated himself with the first respondents submission  saying the plaintiff is found by a commission to be incompetent to run for public office.

Momodou Sabally’s lawyer Abdoulie Fatty said he filed a motion on March 21 seeking the granting of his clients application, urging the court to set aside the decision of the first respondent and order the electoral body to accept the applicants nomination. Counsel Fatty further submitted that his motion is supported by an affidavit of 31 pages.

Momodou Sabally’s counsel went on to say that the Independent Electoral Commission’s decision is not consistent with the provision of electoral governance.

Before the commencement of the trial, some UDP sympathizers stormed the court chanting that they need justice for Sabally, prompting the high court judge to pause hearings until the courtroom was decongested.

Sabally was seen pleading with supporters to adhere to the court’s request to allow the case to proceed.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here