Fire consumes over D300,000 worth of valuables in Foni

0
266

By Mustapha Jarju

The Manjang Kunda family of Jarrol in the Foni Jarrol district has lost over three hundred thousand dalasis (D300,000) worth of valuables in an inferno that consumed the entire family house — suspected to have been caused by an electrical fault.

The fire that broke out on Tuesday morning left the Manjang family in an unbearable situation ravaging goods, such as food for feeding, clothes, and a reasonable sum of money.

Speaking to the Alkamba Times, the landlord Bakebba Manjang said he was not at the village at the start of the incident, and his wife was laundering in the backyard when neighbors alerted her that the house was on fire.

“The people came to assist in putting down the fire, but everywhere was dark with smoke; they tried to switch off the meter, but even with that was invisible due to heavy smoke coming out in every corner of the house,” he said.

Manjang, visibly sad and traumatized by the unfortunate incident, said efforts were made to reach out to the fire service for rescue. ‘ the area’s firefighters were responding to a similar incident at the time, a bush fire.’

He told TAT that cash amounting to D49,000, two laptops costing at least D11,000, and other valuables worth over 300,000 were lost in the inferno.

He added, “only a bag of potatoes was kept in the house for this Ramadan was rescued from the wildfire other than even a butut didn’t come out of the uncontrollable fire, leaving the family frustrated.”

Meanwhile, Manjang and his family face housing, feeding, and clothing challenges as empathized neighbors and other good Samaritans now shelter his wife and children.

“My kids who were in school during the incident are only left with their school uniform; we need support from either government or philanthropists,” he appealed.

Leave a Reply